Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mayhaw Jelly

A few weeks ago, my friend Kay called and asked if I wanted some mayhaw berries to make jelly with.

I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was probably something like, "What kind of berries?"

I had never heard of mayhaw berries, but she told me that mayhaw jelly was really good, so I was willing to give it a try.

Since then, I have learned that the mayhaw is a small fruit (about 1/2" to 1" in diameter) with its color ranging from yellow to bright red. They resemble cranberries in appearance and crabapples in taste. Mayhaw trees flower profusely and early. The fruit ripens mostly in early May, which is how it gets the name mayhaw. It is not a desirable berry for eating raw, but is best known for its use in marmalades, butters, preserves, jellies, and syrups.

I went to her house and we cleaned berries and packaged them up to freeze. In all, I left with eight 3-pound containers of berries to put in my freezer! I pulled out one of the containers yesterday and made this:


I've only made jelly once before, so I felt a great sense of accomplishment from just making these few little jars of jelly. (It was really surprisingly easy.)

So, of course, I made some biscuits this morning and enjoyed some of the "fruit" of my labors. Yum!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...