Wednesday, September 07, 2011

I Can Only Imagine

A few weeks ago, I made an off-handed comment to Alyssa that if she’s looking for me in heaven, I’ll be hanging out with the apostle John. I think we all have some Biblical figure (other than Jesus) we’d like to meet and talk with if we could. Mine is John. He wrote my favorite gospel AND my favorite book of the Bible (1 John) and is the person who wrote this:


And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen. (John 21:25)

Can you imagine listening to all those “unwritten” stories about Jesus for eternity? Super cool!

But later I started thinking… will we really fellowship with each other in heaven or will we be so consumed with worshipping Jesus that we’re hardly even aware that anyone else is there? I mean, if you had a choice between worshipping at Jesus’ feet or fellowshipping with the apostle John, which one do you think YOU’D choose?

From there, my mind wandered to other questions like:

Will we even recognize each other in heaven? It is generally accepted that we will, but the Bible doesn’t give us that explicit promise.

How will God “wipe away every tear” from our eyes if there is “no more … sorrow, nor crying” (Rev. 21:4)? Have you ever wondered what that looks like?

After we’re in heaven for a few millennia, will our memories of our life on earth fade? Part of me hopes it does, because there are lots of things about life here I’d like to forget. But part of me hopes it doesn’t, because it will keep me forever thankful for what I was saved from.

So what about you? Do you let your mind wander to heaven? If so, what are some things you’ve wondered about?

2 comments:

Journey of Joy said...

First of all, I have to start checking your blog!! You're a terrific, interesting, funny writer!

I'm not sure about the marriage thing. I've been taught that there won't be marrying in Heaven, but what will that mean for Keith & me? Will he suddenly become "buddy/brother Keith," or will he & I continue to love each other in the sorta marital-ish way? If not, that makes me a bit sad (although I see that as a lack of trust in what God's perfect design is... workin' on that...). It gives me a sense of urgency to love Keith well/better before I run out of time.

I also have a million questions for God; not out of disrespect, just pure curiousity. Like, "Why did you make scorpions?" and "Why did the Lord Jesus say that even He didn't know the day of His return?" Stuff like that.

But at the same time, I can't imagine being in Heaven and even remembering this stuff as I lay in fear and awe and worship before the Throne.

I also wonder if we'll stand before the Father with our eyes shielded (like the seraphim who keep their eyes covered).

Will we eat?

Will I remember to hug Charles Spurgeon, & tell Peter that I am just like him in so many ways, or will I not even care?

Don't know, but can't wait to find out.

Maybe you & I could make a pinkie-swear to try with all our might, once we get there, to look at each other in the eyes, say "Hey, Sister!!" and then do the dance of joy? We could try!

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much, sweet friend! I think you forgot "sporadic" in that list of adjectives, though. I'm actually surprised anyone still reads my blog since I haven't posted very regularly.

Those are all good questions! I've also wondered if we will remember to ask the questions we meant to ask when we're actually there. I had NOT thought about the scorpion thing, but now that you mention it... :)

And I'm totally finding you tomorrow for that pinkie-swear. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...