Saturday, October 08, 2011

Meals On the Cheap {Your Input Needed}

My weekly grocery budget is $150. I cook 5 dinners each week and we have left-overs 2 days a week (Sundays and Wednesdays). If you assume that about $50 of my budget goes toward staples (milk, bread, etc.), toiletries (toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.), and lunch/breakfast foods, that means that each of the 5 meals I cook for my little 4-person family needs to cost an average of $20 each.

With our busy schedules this year, there have been several days when I just didn't have the time to cook, and we ended up buying some of those cheap Hot & Ready pizzas from Little Caesar's. I felt guilty about having to spend extra money on pizza, until one day it hit me: those pizzas cost less than it does for me to cook! At $5 each, my family can eat for $10 plus tax and have left-overs for lunch the next day! Even if we "splurge" and get a supreme Hot & Ready ($9), the cost is only $14 plus tax. Not bad.

Now, I'll grant that pizza isn't the most nutritious meal, but my family loves it, it's inexpensive, and it takes some of the pressure off of me on days when there's just not enough time to cook a meal. Because of that, we have started scheduling a pizza night once a week.

I know lots of families are pinching pennies right now, and even if you're not having to pinch pennies, everyone wants to be a good steward of their resources. Cooking (or buying!) inexpensive meals is one way to reduce some of the strain on our budgets. So, that's where YOU come in...

Do you have a great go-to meal that feeds your family for $20 or less? If so, let's share them with each other! In the linky below, paste a link to your recipe. It can be a link to your blog, if you have one, or to a recipe site (allrecipes.com, etc.). If you can't find the recipe online and don't have a blog, just share the recipe in the comments. I hope this can become a great resource for all of us to find some new ideas for inexpensive recipes!

**NOTE** When you enter your link, the "Name" field is what shows up as the description of the link.










1 comment:

boo4baby said...

Okay, I'm looking forward to watching this post. We are trying to lower our food costs, but eat healthy all nights but one. Yeah, right? I'm going to try. Maybe I'll get some great ideas here! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...