Friday, December 30, 2011

Pursuing the Christ

During this past advent season, I read Pursuing the Christ: Prayers for Christmastime by Jennifer Kennedy Dean. This little book contains a morning and evening devotion for each day in December. Rather than doing an actual "review" of the book, I thought I would just share with you some of my favorite, thought-provoking quotes from the book.

The earth was just the setting in which the Word made flesh could become visible. My little circumstances are just the setting in which your Word to me can become visible.
...
You do not need a grand setting in which to do Your work, because You are the Grand Setting.


May I value what You value. May I see beauty and magnificence where You see them. May I seek, not the glitter and the glamour that others might admire, but the hidden majesty of things despised and viewed as nothing. This Christmas season, may I find true humility.


As carefully as You orchestrated the appearance of the Redeemer on the earth, so carefully are You orchestrating Your activity in my life.


The love that I am able to feel for You is only an echo of the love You have for me.


You started the Incarnation with a resurrection. John was the life that came from Elizabeth's dead womb. Life came out of death; such is resurrection. The Incarnation event was framed in resurrections.

This one was my favorite:
When the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary, were the words that created life in her womb the same words spoken in the beginning? "Let there be Light." And there was Light.


Lord Jesus, in this Christmas season where we sing songs about peace but fill our days with chaos, let me see You in the ordinary.


After their journey to the King, the shepherds returned to their flock. They kept watch ovefr their flock the rest of the night. They did the same thing the next night, and the next, and the next. They did not become famous or rich. Their lot in life did not change -- except that now they had the gift of joy. So, really, everything changed.


Free me from the notion that I might possess any wisdom that is my own.


Heart of mine, look! Look at the majesty of the One who embraced humanity and took frail flesh as His robe. Compare the stable with the throne room. Compare the Cross with the throne. Magnificent love. Indescribable gift.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...