Sunday, January 01, 2012

Word and Verse for 2012

Every year I select a word for the year on which to focus and an associated passage of Scripture on which to meditate throughout the year.

As I look toward 2012, it is almost overshadowed by 2013 looming in the distance. I almost don't even see 2012 at all. All I can see right now is the fall of 2013, when my “baby” goes off to college. As a homeschool parent, my head is filled with questions like: Did we cover all the credits she needs? When is the next ACT? How many AP test should we take?

As a mom, my heart is filled with even bigger questions like: Did I teach her all she’ll need to know to thrive on her own? Which college is right for her? Is she ready? Am I ready?

I know 2012 will be a busy year (Aren’t they all?). We will go on college road trips, take tests (ACT, SAT, AP, etc.), fill out college applications, apply for scholarships, and much more. It will also be an emotional year: Alyssa’s last Christmas at home, prom, close friends graduating this year and leaving for college, etc.

But in all the busyness, I don’t want to go through this year in a fog and realize at the end of it that I missed opportunities to make memories. I don’t want to focus so much on Alyssa’s college preparation that I miss her junior and senior years or even Hannah’s 8th and 9th grade years.

I want to be intentional about this year. I’m realizing that if I don’t take the time to plan ahead and set aside time for discipling the girls and making memories during this year, it just won’t happen.

So my word for 2012 is INTENTIONAL. Mostly, this is going to relate to relationships. I’m very task-oriented by nature, so I’m pretty good at being intentional about planning tasks. This year, though, I want to be more intentional about my relationships: with God, with my husband, with my girls, and with other friends and family.

Since the word “intentional” really isn’t in the Bible, I went with a verse that talks about pursuing what is good. I thought it captured the same essence of what I’m trying to do.

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all.
1 Thessalonians 5:14-15, emphasis added

I liked the word "pursue" in this verse, because if I don't intentionally pursue godliness, quality time with my husband, and quality time with my girls, it's not going to magically happen. I have also set some specific goals in several areas to help me be more intentional about all the relationships in my life. But even if I don't meet every one of those goals, Lord willing I will at least improve in each area.

3 comments:

boo4baby said...

I miss you blogging......... :) I know your life has greatly changed, but I just wanted you to know that you were missed.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, friend! I have a few posts brewing in my brain, but I just haven't had the time to fully develop them or get them down on "paper," if you know what I mean. Maybe soon... :)

boo4baby said...

I'll look forward to it. I have several things that get in my brain, too, but can't seem to find enough time to really do it justice. I need to have a "blog notebook" as a fellow blogger has.....just to jot down the ideas. I'll look forward to your next one. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...