Saturday, February 04, 2012

Rescued

A little more than four years ago, we adopted two “rescued” cats. Rescued animals are ones who were abused, neglected, abandoned, or just strays, left to fend for themselves out in the elements.

We’re not really sure what kind of situation our cats were in before we got them, but we can guess that their experience with humans was less than pleasant. When they first came into our cozy home, they weren’t grateful and loving. They were SCARED. They hid from us (sometimes in very creative spots!) and ran from us in fear. If we happened to catch one as they sprinted past us, they would tolerate us loving on them for a few minutes, but would bolt at the first opportunity.

“Don’t they realize we just want to love them?” the girls would ask. But the truth was that they didn’t understand. I’m sure they were thankful to be given food and water, but they didn’t yet comprehend that they had nothing to fear from us. They were jumpy around us, never relaxed, which showed that they were afraid that these big, ugly humans did not have good intentions toward them.

It took quite a bit of time for them to relax around us and realize that we really do love them. We had to be patient and keep showing them love until they learned to trust us. But now they actually seem to enjoy our company. Pepper often rubs up against our legs to be petted, and Sarah follows me around the house and curls up in my lap when I’m reading.


And isn’t it the same with us? When we first come to the Lord, we carry our baggage and preconceived ideas with us. Sure, we're thankful for salvation and for the Lord’s comfort and provision, but we’re not always sure He really has our good in mind. It sometimes takes years of trials and seeing how faithful, patient, and loving God is with us before we truly learn to relax and trust Him.

Lord, thank you for your patience with me. Forgive me for ever doubting your love.


I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8 (NKJV)

2 comments:

Journey of Joy said...

Perfect. I love this! And I love to hear what God uses in one person's life to teach Him about Himself.

Thanks for sharing!

boo4baby said...

Having a scared cat, I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you're back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...