Saturday, March 03, 2012

The Importance of a Good Pair of Shoes

Tomorrow morning, Lord willing, I will walk my first (and probably last) half marathon. I have walked over 195 miles in the last 4 months to prepare for this 13.1 mile journey, and I’ve learned a lot along the way… mostly about feet.

Did you know that your feet swell when you walk? Well, I had never really thought about that until I woke up one day with two blackened toenails. Apparently, I had walked enough the day before that my toes had swollen and hit the end of my shoes, which caused bruising underneath the toenails (see lovely photo below of my poorly-pedicured feet). Ouch! Time for new shoes.


I’m sure there are doctors and nurses out there who could explain the physiological reasons WHY our feet swell when we walk. I have no idea. I just know that it happens and it hurts when your feet hit the end of your shoes. A few weeks after that happened, I was reading in Nehemiah 9:21 (emphasis added):

Forty years You sustained them in the wilderness;
They lacked nothing;
Their clothes did not wear out
And their feet did not swell.

I’m sure I had read that before, and I did remember that their clothing didn’t wear out, but I don’t remember ever noticing that their feet didn’t swell. Folks, that’s a pretty big deal. I looked up how many miles a “day’s walk” was in Bible times. Wanna guess?

20-25 miles.

In a DAY!

When I realized that, I had a whole new appreciation for those Israelites wandering in the wilderness. They basically walked almost a marathon each day that they walked. AND THEIR FEET DID NOT SWELL.

Finding the right pair of walking shoes was much more difficult than I had imagined. I went through several pair and several stores before I found the right ones. I also got some nice, cushy walking socks that made a BIG difference in my walking. Those Israelites wore sandals. No expensive walking shoes. No arch supports. No cushy socks.

No wonder they grumbled.

But their feet did not swell.

Mine will probably swell tomorrow, but that’s okay. I have my new walking shoes, my cushy socks, and a God who can overcome any obstacle. What more could a girl need?

1 comment:

W. Mark Whitlock said...

I've survived running four marathons and can't wait for number five. You'll do great. Let your blog readers know how it goes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...