Monday, September 03, 2012

Book Review: What He Must Be

In order to be more intentional this year with the girls, I had some books that I wanted to read and discuss with them. One of those was Voddie Baucham, Jr.'s book What He Must Be... If He Wants to Marry My Daughter, which I intended to use to discuss with Alyssa.

When I picked up this book, I thought it would have a nice little list of characteristics to look for in a potential suitor, which would be great to use as a springboard for discussing how we want to handle boy/girl relationships in a college setting. (If you know me at all, you know I love lists!) While the book did discuss those desired qualities and characteristics, that was really a small part of the content. The real meat of the book discusses the shortage of godly young men and how we should be raising our sons and daughters with a view toward marriage.

I often walk away from a Christian book feeling challenged and convicted. This is the first time I recall walking away from a book feeling downright discouraged. I think it's because the intended audience for the book is really FATHERS. Clearly, I'm not one of those. I kept thinking he would get around to discussing how someone without a Christian father in the family would be able to implement the ideas he proposes in the book, but he never did. Thus, I was left wanting more.

Not surprisingly, I think this would be a great book for a father to read when his children are young, before the "dating" issues spring up. (Why do we wait until we are facing the dating years before we start looking into these things?!) What might surprise you, though, is that I also think this would be a great book for a father with SONS to read. Baucham spends a lot of time talking about the shortage of godly young men. This would be a great challenge for a dad to read when his son is young so that he could take some intentional steps to mold him into a godly young man that would be a good husband and father for the next generation.

THE VERDICT: Recommended for Christian fathers

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...