Saturday, November 03, 2012

Never Say Never

You might remember that earlier this year, I walked my first half marathon with Alyssa. I said it was a good experience, but not one that I would want to do again. Well, about that...

After that race, I didn't set foot in the gym for TWO MONTHS. What I realized is that I really need a goal to motivate me to get into the gym. So I signed up for the Soaring Wings Half Marathon and started training. This was a much smaller race, and the proceeds benefit Soaring Wings Ranch, a "Christ-based home for children needing a chance."

Alyssa originally signed up to run this one, but mid-way through training, she decided it took too much time away from her school, so she backed out. That was okay, though, because I got to walk this one with my good friend Stephanie. :) Here are our obligatory before and after photos.


Poor Stephanie finished the last few miles with HUGE blisters on her feet. She was such a trouper! We finished at 3:37, just 5 minutes slower than my first attempt. I was pretty happy with that!

These are some friends of Steph's that I met at the race. Four of us did the race and the other 2 met us at several points in the race to cheer us on.
Best. Cheerleaders. Ever.

Physically, this was a much easier race for me than the first one. Some of that was probably because I knew what to expect. Some of it might have been because I was introduced to GU on this race (It's pretty amazing stuff.). I still don't like the amount of time it takes to train for these races, though. I would love to find another way to stay motivated to go to the gym without having to put in quite so many hours. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...