Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Word and Verse for 2014

Every year, I select a verse and word to concentrate on for the year. And every year at the end of the year, I feel like I need a few more years to work on the given aspect. I guess I will never really feel like I’ve “arrived” with any of these words, but hopefully I’ve at least grown some by keeping them in front of me over the course of the year.

This year, as I tried to decide my word/verse, I started by making a list of sin areas and things I need to work on. Talk about depressing! However, as I went through the list, I kept coming back to the word “anxiety.” I thought about using that as my word and maybe using Philippians 4:6-7 as my verse. However, that seemed to focus more on the problem and not the resolution.

As I prayed about the list and searched my Bible for more verses, I decided to focus on the opposite of anxiety. So my word for 2014 is PEACE. My verse is Isaiah 26:3.

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

I thought this captured where I WANT to be more than where I AM at the moment. It also focuses on HOW to get there: keep my mind stayed (focused) on the Lord.

Some of you may know that I read through the Bible this year with a group in my church. While I loved doing that, I think I am still lacking in spending time to just ponder and think through Scripture. So, in an effort to keep my mind focused on the Lord, I want to spend more time meditating on Scripture this year. To help with that, I am putting some Scripture meditation techniques on the back of my bookmark this year, taken from Don Whitney’s book Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life. Click on the images to enlarge. If you would like to print a bookmark for yourself, feel free to download them and print your own.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Love it! And your bookmark is very nice!!!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Gina! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...