Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Book Review: Devotionals

2014 was the year of the devotional for me. I read three devotionals this year, so I wanted to say a word about each one.

First, I will talk about Daily Light from God's Word by Samuel Bagster/Anne Graham Lotz. The unique thing about this devotional is that it is COMPLETELY Scripture. I love that about it! Each day there is a morning and evening reading of topically-arranged Scriptures. The references are below the passage, so if you want to look up a Scripture to see the context, you can. It also comes packaged in a lovely, small leather-bound book, perfect for gift-giving. I have given these as a graduation gift before, because sometimes busy college students don't have time to read large chunks of Scripture.

During the Christmas season, I also read Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room by Nancy Guthrie. This book is really intended to be used for family devotions, so it is written on a simple level suitable for children. It also has discussion questions at the end of each day that can be used for family discussions. I probably didn't get as much out of it since I was just using it for my own personal use, but it was still nice to think about different aspects of the advent story each day to prepare my heart for Christmas. As an added bonus, it has a few additional sections which break down different Christmas carols and discuss their meaning.

My favorite devotional by far this year was The Quiet Place by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I loved this book so much, I gave a copy to my mother, friend, daughters, sister, and sister-in-law! Every day, Nancy challenged me, encouraged me, and gave me great food for thought. It is also packaged with a sturdy and lovely blue leather-like cover, which makes it a really nice gift. I really can't say enough good things about this devotional. It is one I know I will use many times in the years to come.

Did you read any good devotional books lately? I'd love to hear about them.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...