Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Purchased for a Purpose - Word and Verse for 2015

Every year, I try to come up with a word and verse to focus on for the coming year. I say this every year, but this year has been particularly difficult for me to focus on ONE thing I need to work on (thus, the lateness of this post). The more I look honestly at my life, the more things I see that need to be worked on. :(

One thought, though, has been swirling around in my head for several months, and that thought is ownership – how my life isn’t really mine to live and to spend how I want. I belong to God, so my life is His to use how He sees fit. That reality should affect how I spend each moment of each day.

My time is not my own.
My money is not my own.
My possessions are not my own.
My gifts/talents/abilities are not my own.
My life is not my own.

So…

Planning my day is fine, but if God wants to redirect my day, I should embrace that and try to see “interruptions” as divine redirections.

Planning a budget is fine, but if God brings an opportunity to give, help someone in need, or even brings financial difficulty in my life, I should be willing to give all I have and cut back on things I think I “need” in order to live within the means God has given me.

I should have an attitude that anything I possess on earth is loaned to me to accomplish God’s purposes. My comfort or pleasure is not the primary goal. If I can share what I have to help someone in need, I should be thankful for that opportunity.

I should have no pride in my own gifts or abilities, nor should I look down on others for having different gifts/abilities. We are all given them by God to use for HIS glory, not our own.

I am seeing more and more that I fail in all of these areas regularly. So I think my word for the year will be PURCHASED, and my verse will be

For you were bought at a price; 
therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, 
which are God’s. 
(1 Corinthians 6:20, NKJV)

I don't have a bookmark yet, but I hope to have one within the next week.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...