Saturday, March 19, 2016

Trim Healthy Mama 101: 3 Steps to Getting Started

On March 1st of last year, I started on a journey called Trim Healthy Mama (or THM for short). In short, it has revolutionized how I think about food. I have lost 38 pounds and am down to the weight I was before having children (over 21 years ago!). NOTHING else worked for me until I found THM, so suffice it to say I'm a believer!

If any of you plan to start eating the THM way, I wanted to give you a few pointers to get you started. So this blog post is my "Getting Started with THM" post. I hope to post other helpful tidbits later.

FIRST STEP: Buy the books.
Yes, you really do need them. You will want the plan book and the cookbook. Don't buy the older book which has the plan and cookbook in one volume. The newer ones are MUCH better. Many of us get the cookbook spiral bound at a local Staples or Office Depot store since we use it so much. You won't regret the small fee you pay to get this done.

SECOND STEP: Download my THM Cheat Sheet.
This way of eating is different than anything else you have ever done. In the beginning, I kept wanting to COUNT something... anything. I am a numbers person, and every diet I ever tried involved counting something: carbs, fat, calories, etc. This is completely different, and it took me quite a while to wrap my brain around this concept of food. With that said, though, some people have come up with some numbers to use as guidelines, which I found very helpful. I created a THM Cheat Sheet which includes those numbers. It also has all the foods you can eat in an "E" meal on one side and the foods allowed in an "S" meal on the other side. The yellow highlighted foods are ones that you can have in a "FP" meal. I printed this on cardstock and put it on my refrigerator. I still refer to it quite a bit.

THIRD STEP: Jump in, but start slowly.
I tell folks all the time to just start by eliminating sugar. That will get you started on the right track while you read the books and try to figure out the entire plan. Some people like to read through the plan book first and start all at once. That's okay, too, but I found it somewhat overwhelming the first several weeks. So I started by eliminating sugar. Then I tried several days of just "S" meals, then several days of just "E" meals, so I could try and understand what they were. That worked well for me, I think.

BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE: NO GUILT!
The great thing about THM is that there is no guilt. If you "mess up" and go off-plan one meal, that's fine. Just pick back up at the next meal.

In future posts, I want to cover topics such as eating out and recipe organization. If there's another THM topic you'd like to know more about, let me know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...